MACOMB, IL – The Macomb Police Department has announced that this Thanksgiving they will be joining the Illinois State Police and local law enforcement agencies to ensure holiday travelers are buckled up and driving sober with a “Click It or Ticket” and “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” enforcement campaign that runs from November 17th to 27th.
“Thanksgiving means more vehicles on the road – and an increased risk of crashes,” said Sergeant Goc. “No matter how long or short your drive, remember to buckle up and make sure children are in a safe seat. By buckling up and planning for a sober ride home, you help everyone have a safe and happy holiday.”
The goal of this high-visibility effort is to reduce motor vehicle crashes, injuries, and fatalities. Proper seat-belt use is the most effective way to protect vehicle occupants. According to IDOT, the statewide seat-belt usage rate has room for improvement at 92.9%.
If you will be celebrating with alcohol or other impairing substances, please remember:
- Plan for a sober ride home before you go out.
- Call a taxi, take mass transit, or ask a family member to get you home safely.
- Use your favorite ride-share service, such as Uber or Lyft, or take public transportation.
- If you see a drunk driver, pull over safely and call 911.
- Make sure everyone in your vehicle wears their seat belt. It is the best defense against an impaired driver.
The Thanksgiving enforcement effort is made possible by federal traffic safety funds administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT).